Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rice Dream...a little on the messy side!

I have no idea why I am doing this project this time of year, but I thought that it would give the kids somethings to do while I am in the kitchen. Mostly I guess to keep them from driving each other..or me, nuts. It turned out to be a little bit messy, but it was so fun! I think that I had more fun doing it!
So here is where I got the idea from:
She has great crafts to do with kids!
It's so easy and hardly cost anything!

Here are the supplies that you need:
~Large bag of white rice
~Rubbing alcohol
~Food coloring

I put about 2 cups of rice in each zip-lock. Add a couple drops of food coloring and about 1 teaspoon of the rubbing alcohol. Zip it tight with all of your might. You don't want this stuff to get out...yet!
Next, get mixing. At first I was not sure. I just rolled the bag back and fourth, and before you know it I had orange rice.

Here is what all of the bags looked like. It's so pretty!


So then I laid it all together in nice little rows. I put mine in a rubber maid.

I called the kids over and the mixing began!

Time to move it to the floor.
The next night when she played with it, I put down some paper. What can I say? She is a messy girl!
~If I were to do this again, I think that I might try to give the rice a rinse, so sift it. There was a lot of rice "dust" and that it was made it messy.
Let me know what you think and if you try it with you kids! They had a great time and this is a fun thing to do inside, or it might be great for the backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment